Jack Ma – Coaching Quotes and Tips
Jack Ma – Coaching Quotes and Tips – Contents
- Career Advice Quotes by Jack Ma
- Business Advice Quotes by Jack Ma
- Leadership and Management Advice Quotes by Jack Ma
- Jack Ma Biography
- Interesting Facts and Insights about Jack Ma
- Alibaba Group
- Jack Mar Inspirational Quotes
- Books about Jack Ma
- Common Questions about Jack Ma
- Videos about Jack Ma
- Jack Ma Quotes
Career Advice Quotes by Jack Ma
“Never give up. Today is hard, tomorrow will be worse, but the day after tomorrow will be sunshine.”
“If there are nine rabbits on the ground, if you want to catch one, just focus on one.”
“Only fools use their mouth to speak. A smart man uses his brain, and a wise man uses his heart.”
“Today is cruel. Tomorrow is crueler and the day after tomorrow is beautiful.”
“The opportunities that everyone cannot see are the real opportunities.”
“If you’ve never tried, how will you ever know if there’s any chance?”
“No matter how tough the chase is, you should always have the dream you saw on the first day. It’ll keep you motivated and rescue you.”
“Your attitude is more important than your capabilities. Similarly, your decision is more important than your capabilities.”
“On the path to success, you will notice that the successful ones are not whiners, nor do they complain often.”
“If you have a different mindset, you will have a different outcome.”
“If you are a wolf chasing rabbits, focus on one rabbit. Change yourself to catch the rabbit, but don’t change rabbits.”
“I love Forrest Gump. (He is) simple, and never gives up.”
“I failed a key primary school test two times, I failed the middle school test three times, I failed the college entrance exam two times and when I graduated, I was rejected for most jobs I applied for out of college,”
Business Advice Quotes by Jack Ma
“You should learn from your competitor but never copy. Copy and you die.”
” Forget about your competitors, just focus on your customers.”
“If you don’t give up, you still have a chance.”
“Never ever compete on prices, instead compete on services and innovation.”
“Opportunity lies in the place where the complaints are.”
“Adopt and change before any major trends or changes.”
“Customer first, employees second, and investor third.”
“When we have money, we start making mistakes.”
“When you are small, you have to be very focused and rely on your brain, not your strength.”
“A real businessman or entrepreneur has no enemies. Once he understands this, the sky’s the limit.”
“Success and profitability are outcomes of focusing on customers and employees, not objectives.”
Leadership Advice Quotes by Jack Ma
“I don’t want to be liked. I want to be respected.”
“Try to find the right people, not the best people.”
“Don’t hire the most qualified, hire the craziest.”
“My job is to help more people have jobs.”
“We should never finish a 20 year program in two years.”
“Be in love with the government, but don’t marry them.”
“When people think too highly of you, you have the responsibility to calm down and be yourself.”
“A leader should be visionary and have more foresight than an employee.”
“30% of all people will never believe you. Do not allow your colleagues and employees to work for you. Instead, let them work for a common goal.”
“A leader should have higher grit and tenacity, and be able to endure what the employees can’t.”
“Help young people. Help small guys. Because small guys will be big. Young people will have the seeds you bury in their minds, and when they grow up, they will change the world.”
“If we are a good team and know what we want to do, one of us can defeat ten of them.”
“The very important thing you should have is patience.”
“If you view everyone as your enemies then everyone around you will be enemies.”
“If you want to win in the 21st century, yo have to empower others, making sure other people are better than you are. Then you will be successful.”
“I try to make myself happy because I know that if I’m not happy, my colleagues are not happy and my shareholders are not happy and my customers are not happy.”
“We are never in lack of money. We lack people with dreams, who can die for those dreams.”
Jack Ma, or Ma Yun (Chinese: 马云) Biography
Jack Ma (born 1964) is a Chinese business magnate, politician, and philanthropist. He is the co-founder of Alibaba Group. A prominent business figure, Ma is seen as a global ambassador for Chinese business and as such is frequently listed as one of the world’s most powerful people by Forbes.
Jack Ma serves as a role model for startup businesses. He has ranked high in the annual “World’s 50 Greatest Leaders” list by Fortune. He is one of China’s richest men, as well as one of the wealthiest people in the world and also ranks in Forbes’ World’s Most Powerful People.
Interesting Facts and Insights about Jack Ma
- Parents: Jack Ma parents made a living as Chinese traditional musician-storytellers in Hangzhou
- English: Jack Ma learned English by giving foreign tourists free guides around his hometown Hangzhou. In those nine years, he learned to better understand non-Chinese cultures.
- Tourist Guide: When he was 12 years old, he would ride his bicycle during the early hours of each morning to a hotel in Hangzhou that’s at least 40 minutes away, where he would give foreigners tours for free.
- Western Ideas: As a tourist guide not only did he improve his English by conversing with the visitors he also learned “Western people’s system, ways, methods, and techniques.” He discovered a view of the world, which was different from what his teachers and studies taught him.
- Jack Ma: A tourist gave Jack Ma his English name
- Exams: Ma failed his college entrance exams twice before getting into the Hangzhou Teacher’s University.
- Degree: He graduated from Hangzhou Teachers University – now known as Hangzhou Normal University – with a bachelor’s degree in English in 1988.
- Teacher: Ma was the only one chosen out of 500 students to be a university teacher in English. He spent five years teaching.
- KFC: After leaving his career as an English teacher in 1995, Ma started his search for other opportunities. One of the 30 jobs he set his eyes on was a local KFC branch in Hangzhou, but he was rejected by the fast-food restaurant.
- First Career: He moved into the English translation business.
- Not Techie: Even though Alibaba is focused on technology, Ma did not have a technical background. He used his first computer in 1995 when he was 31 years old.
- First Wed Search: In 1995 during a trip to Seattle as an interpreter, a friend showed him the internet for the first time. The first search inquiry he made was on Yahoo for the keyword “beer.”
- China on the Internet: When Jack Ma first visited the US, He entered “beer in China” and found no results. He soon realized there was no data about China on the Internet, at that time. This gave him a business idea.
- First Home Page: While in the US in 1995, he learned to create a home page to advertise his translation services.
- First Business Failure: His first attempt at an internet-based business, called China Pages, flopped. He started China Yellow Pages, borrowing money from a relative and using his life savings to secure $2,000 to get it off the ground.
- Founding an Empire: In 1999, with the help of friends, he raised $60,000 to found Alibaba.
- Alibaba: The company’s name came from the character Ali Baba from the tale of “One Thousand and One Nights.” He chose it for its universal appeal and because the name begins with A, his company would also appear on the top of lists.
- MBA: Ma earned his Master of Business Administration degree or MBA from Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business, in Beijing, China
- Harvard University: Jack Ma’s applications were rejected by Harvard University 10 times. “I told myself, someday I will go and teach there.”
- Taobao: Ma also built a retail site, Taobao (Chinese: 淘宝网) which is a Chinese online shopping website, owned by Alibaba. It is the world’s biggest e-commerce website for Consumer-to-Consumer, which directly competes with eBay.
- Alipay: Ma also built Alipay, an online payment platform, which now has more than 800 million registered users.
- Forrest Gump: Jack Ma has been inspired by the character of Forrest Gump. “I love Forrest Gump. (He is) simple, and never gives up.”
- IPO: In 2014, Alibaba’s initial public offering in New York set a record as the world’s biggest public stock offering.
- CEO: Ma stepped down as Alibaba Group CEO in 2013
Alibaba is a Chinese multinational conglomerate specializing in e-commerce, retail, Internet, and technology. The company provides consumer-to-consumer, business-to-consumer, and business-to-business sales services via web portals, as well as electronic payment services, shopping search engines, and cloud computing services.
Alibaba is the world’s largest retailer and e-commerce company. It is also one of the largest Internet and one of the biggest venture capital firms. It owns and operates a diverse array of businesses around the world in numerous sectors, and is named as one of the world’s most admired companies by Fortune.
Share this Information to increase Your Influence
Share this page with your network to increase your Influence. Then explore the additional Coaching Information from some of the world’s top experts. Click the links below:
Books About Jack Ma
- Alibaba: The House That Jack Ma Built, by Duncan Clark, 2016
- Never Give Up: Jack Ma in His Own Words, 2016
- Jack Ma: The Art of Dreaming and Succeeding Extraordinary, by Jamie Morris, 2017
- Jack Ma’s Life Lessons and Rules for Success, by John D. Rockefeller III, 2016
- Alibaba: The Inside Story Behind Jack Ma and the Creation of the World’s Biggest Online Marketplace, by Liu Shiying and Martha Avery, 2009
- Alibaba’s World: How a Remarkable Chinese Company is Changing the Face of Global Business, by Porter Erisman, 2015
- How Jack Ma Did It: An Analysis of Ali Baba’s Success, by Can Akdeniz, 2014
- Jack Ma: The Biography of a Self-Made Billionaire and CEO of Alibaba Group, 2017
- Alibaba: How Jack Ma Created His Empire, by Brad Clark, 2016
Common Questions about Jack Ma?
- Why is Jack Ma famous?
- He is the key founder of the e-commerce giant ‘Alibaba’, which is one of the top websites in e-business
- When and where was Jack Ma born?
- 15 September 1964, Hangzhou, China
- Where was Jack Ma educated?
- Hangzhou Normal University, 1988
- Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business, 2006
- What did Jack Ma study or major in?
- Bachelor of Arts, Hangzhou Normal University
- He graduated from Hangzhou Teachers University – now known as Hangzhou Normal University – with a bachelor’s degree in English.
- Ma earned his Master of Business Administration degree (MBA) from Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business.
- Does Jack Ma have a family?
- Spouse: Cathy Zhang (married. 1988)
- Son: Ma Yuankun
- Daughter: Ma Yuanbao
- Where does Jack Ma live?
- Hangzhou, China
- How much money does Jack Ma have?
- Over 30 billion USD
- Why did Jack Ma choose the name Alibaba?
- The company’s name came from the character Ali Baba from the Middle Eastern folk tale collection One Thousand and One Nights. He chose it for its universal appeal and because Alibaba opened the cave of treasures with the magic words “Open Sesame.”
Mini MBA of Big Ideas
“Strategies for Influence” explores and shares a Mini-MBA of Big Ideas from the Leaders of Influence that can help you with your Career, Business, and Leadership. Click on any of the links below to explore the Big Ideas that have influenced our work and culture.
Videos about Jack Ma
JACK MA: You Need To Hear This
Jack Ma: Three pieces of Wisdom
Image Credit: World Trade Organization from Switzerland [CC BY-SA 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)]